Book an island tour and explore the historic landmarks
- Historic Land Tour of the old Salt Industry. The British West Indies island of Salt Cay was once world wide acclaimed as the finest salt in the Western Hemisphere.
- The land tour group will have an enjoyable two hours visiting the numerous historic sites and learn about the Salt Making Industry on Salt Cay and in the Caribbean.
- We will visit the surrounds of the imposing White House and the ruins of the payroll store and the last remaining boat house on Salt Cay.
- The slanting loft above the boat house was intentionally built to allow dripping burlap bags of salt to drain down through the slatted floor. Remnants of old hand hewn wooden paddles and salt raking paraphernalia can still be spotted in its corners.
- The old dock still speaks of a bustling past when schooners and their ‘Lighter’ boats landed here the to pick up the salt.
- We will see the breathtaking Balfour town Salinas…the size of this waterway’s breathtaking system is impressive with the dotted remains of windmills which were used to push saltwater into the drying pans.
- After decades of storms the remains of the windmills now provide roosting spots for osprey and egrets.
- There are only around 60 friendly people who live on this island and the group will enjoy a leisurely stroll through the quiet village where the homes are clustered together and along the salt ponds and the creek with plentiful bird life, wild donkeys and cows…a photographers delight.
- We suggest you bring a camera since there are many wonderful pictures of old houses, windmills, birds, donkeys and Salinas that tell a very powerful story of an island that time forgot! We have a map of the island with all the historic landmarks pointed out for you.
- We are waiting to share our island with you. Call or email today and book your tour with us, a most interesting day of Caribbean history and culture in the British West Indies.
Book your vacation stay in the oldest home on Salt Cay
Spend your vacation on Salt Cay, Turks and Caicos Islands in a British Colonial Salt Merchant’s Home.
This traditional and exclusive Salt merchant’s home referred to as the “Brown House” is the oldest on Salt Cay and dates back to the early 1800’s is now a luxury vacation rental on Salt Cay. This home was purposefully restored to offer guests an experience of staying in this historic waterfront Salt Merchant’s home. This amazing salt merchant’s Estate sits on two acres with uninterrupted views of the sea and expansive views of the historic salt Salinas and the old historic district of Salt Cay.